Monday, March 26, 2012

4 months to the day...

Yes, you heard right. I will be back stateside 4 months from TODAY! (July 26th - for those of you reciting the months out loud, don't worry I do it too, it's like saying the alphabet out loud when you're looking up a word in the dictionary, totally natural) I know, I know - I can't believe it either! Time is flying, which around Christmas time, I didn't think was even remotely possible.

As I sit here listening to a varied assortment of James Taylor, Carole King, Counting Crows, Coldplay, you get the idea - and working on postcards I am overcome by this huge internal conflict of the heart!

On the one hand - not sure I have EVER been more excited to see my family and friends. Feels like an eternity since we were last together and yet I remember the morning my mom and dad dropped me off at the Columbus airport as if it were yesterday. Isn't it funny how the mind works? And processes the speed with which time passes?

Anyways, I was emailing with a fellow YAV recently about where we are with our work, our year, homesickness, journey, etc. and she commented that she was ready to move on as she missed the creature comforts of home and was ready for the next phase in her life journey. I agreed with her to a certain degree. Beyond just missing the company of close friends and family - there are some undeniable creature comforts that we are fine living without but miss nonetheless. And needless to say, I am waiting to hear back from OSU Masters of Social Work program with bated breath!

However, and this is a big however, I honest to goodness have come to really appreciate and love this city. Certainly the pollution and poverty are a drawback and yes, the traffic can be insufferable sometimes BUT the city has spirit! Never a dull moment. Or rather never a still moment. If I had to choose I would probably still pick the mountain (Huancavelica) over the city (Lima) life but once you are able to comfortably navigate the public transportation system here (which is no small feat, ask anyone) and feel content among the other 11 million Limeños - you're on your way to living it up here!

So yes - 4 months from today I will be landing in Columbus and literally running to see my family, but never will I forget my time in Lima, and this city will undoubtedly hold a special place in my heart forever. It is my goal not to squander these next months but remember how quickly they will pass and who knows when my next opportunity to return to Peru will be?! I know that my family will be there waiting no matter what :)

The gang at a recent roof top potluck dinner - amazing crew.


As always, sending lots of love from Lima.
Sean/Elena

P.S. GO BUCKEYESSS! Bring it on Jayhawks. We're ready, and this time we've got Sully.

1 comment:

  1. Too cute! I know you miss your family and friends, Sean. I am proud of you and will be missing you 4 months and one day today. :)

    ReplyDelete